Monday, May 9, 2011

The Green Dress That Made The Day!


When Julia first told me about helping out with the Pike Prom Closet, I was excited. We had just finished with a job that took a lot of time and effort. I was looking for a small break, but I was ready to jump at the bit to help these young girls go to prom.

I never went to prom. The cost and boyfriend drama prevented me from attending the most special day in a woman's life; well besides marriage. I know you've heard the urban legends, you miss prom and you miss a piece of your life. I know how these girls feel, so I felt it was my duty to make sure our dress drive was a success. I pulled out my bag of tricks and stayed on my knees praying for the last two months.

All the praying and worrying was well worth it, especially in our third hour. A young lady named Allysa came to visit us with her mother and sister. They had been walking the Broad Ripple strip for some time and finally found us. Allysa was decked out in her soccer clothes. Her mom said she had been playing all day, but wanted to take the time out to look for a dress for prom. The six of us dug in all of our donations both at the shop and in Julia's car, and picked out some perfect picks for Allysa. Allysa tried every dress, but when she stepped out in this green rhinestone encrusted ombre dress, the tears just flowed. Six women standing in the middle of the street crying; watching a mother see her baby as a grown woman. This green dress made all the phone calls and emails, all the mean people, and all the headaches worth it! We made a new friend that day and we are waiting for prom pictures from Allysa next week.

I would like to thank all of our sponsors. First, I want to thank Max at Radio NOW 100.9, who switched their schedule around just to be apart of this great event. I want to thank Rain Boutique's Brittney, for allowing us to set up at her shop. Even though she was going through a rough morning, she stayed and allowed us to hang out with her all day. I want to thank Ms. Lizz of HairaPalooza, not only because she's the best stylist in the world, (I'm partial because she tends to my healthy locks) but because she donated $60 in hair services. I want to thank Joanne of Blessed Haven Ministries, who donated a $25 Visa Gift card. To the PR people at HotBox Pizza and Bazbeaux, who donated more than enough door prizes and lunch for our guests. We were worried at first, because no one stepped up to say they would donate any services to help these ladies but it ended up better than we expected. All of our sponsors are special people who strive to help our community, and for this we want to say...Thank You! We wouldn't have been able to do what we do without you.

This is the reason why I love working for Aesthetic Design Style House. I love my co-workers and I love that we all care about the same things...we all want to see those tears of joy on a mother's face. It makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful job, ladies!!! I'm so glad the prom closet was a success. You're right, every young lady should have the opportunity to attend prom if they choose to. Glad you stepped up to play an integral part in making that happen for them.

    ~Kela

    ReplyDelete