Friday, January 25, 2013

Gilbert Adrian AKA Adrian


I'm almost embarrassed to admit I only just recently learned about an incredibly famous and talented Costume Designer of the 30's and 40's Gilbert Adrian.  A very brief bio from Answers.com tells his story as this: "Adrian, Gilbert, 1903-59, popularly known simply as Adrian, fashion designer, b. Naugatuk, Conn. Educated in New York City, he created designs for Broadway shows until 1925, when he moved to Hollywood. As studio designer at MGM studios (1928-41), he created glamorous clothing for such stars as Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, and Katharine Hepburn, his opulent designs influencing haute couture throughout the 1930s and 40s. Adrian was known for his extravagant, draped evening gowns; hooded dresses; embroidered, padded evening jackets; and elegant suits. He was creative director for MGM's Wizard of Oz (1939), one of his most acclaimed productions; the same year he married actress Janet Gaynor. From 1942 to 1952 he ran a fashionable Beverly Hills salon."

With each click through some of the images on my computer I fell more in love with every design. How could I have not ever known of this visionary? Every single piece I found I would put in my closet and wear right now - every single piece!!!! Enjoy this collection of images I found and I will let you be the judge :)






































Until Then,

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment