Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Be a Part of Your Own Clique: Interview with Tiffiany Gilstrap-Scott

Tiffiany Gilstrap-Scott of Clique Da Cour

I was so lucky to meet Tiffiany Gilstrap-Scott last week for the first time. She is such a talented person. It's very rare you find a genuinely nice individual. Read her interview and you'll see what I mean. 


Introduce Yourself
My name is Tiffiany Gilstrap-Scott. I was born and raised in a small town in Indiana. I have a bachelors' degree in Merchandising and Design from Academy of Design and Technology in Tampa, FL. I just moved back here about 7 months ago. I love to design and also play soccer; its' still a fun past time for me. I work two jobs other than designing. People call me crazy all the time, why do you work so much. My answer is you have to work hard to get your dreams. No one is ever going to hand you something you have to be persistent and work through the rough spots to get to the prize lol :).

Where are you from?
I grew up in Tipton, Indiana.
How long have you been designing?
I have been doing this a long time. My mother and grandmother both taught me at a very young age how to crochet and sew. I remember sitting on my grandmothers lap teaching me how to sew my baby doll clothes . It's just something I just always did. I used to make some of my dresses for school growing up as a kid and special event I had. I just loved having something that I know no one else would. There is nothing worse than showing up somewhere where the girl is wearing the exact same dress as you. Thank heavens that has never happened to be, but it has happened to people I know. It's an awful thing.
When did you start Clique Da Cour?
Well it was part of a school project actually in high school and I just been fine tuning it ever since. I really started getting into it when I was in college. I know it was something I wanted to keep pursuing and I figured I better start soon and just keep building on as I go along. You're never finished; it is always an on going
process to keep bettering yourself as you get older and learn more things along the way. I always tell people you can never know everything in your line of work there is always something to be learned to better yourself not only as a businesswomen but as a person too.

Clique Da Cour (retail $95)
  What inspired you to start Clique Da Cour?
I would have to say a good part of it was from my grandfather Dennis Gilstrap; which is no longer
with us. He was a very successful business man. He started a company with his partner Henry known as {the} Val corporation. It was a retail establishment with hardline and softline products. He sold it several years ago, but he also owned a warehouse several apartment complexes along with buying houses and flipping them for profit or renting them out. He was always in a business venture and always trying to get to the next step and conquer something else. He was very persistent and never stopped working. I hope to one day be as successful as he was.
What sets Clique Da Cour apart from other lines?
I try to make each piece different. I want someone to appreciate the time and effort. I not only want it to look good on but also be visual appealing and someone go wow you really made this yourself. We try and make each piece unique to set us apart, its not something you could go in a department store and but off the shelf.

"Sugar" Feed Bag Clutch (retail $15 and up) Designs may vary

Who are your influences?
My mother Angie, my grandfather Dennis, and my grandmother Georgia.
What is your favorite piece?I don't think I have one! As long as what I make for someone and they appreciate it and love it; that's all I ask. That's the best reward I can get.
Sloutch Beanie on Etsy (retail $12)
What are your price points?
I would say they're from anywhere to $15 to couple hundred but that is for a gown. I do want everyone to enjoy my pieces. I didn't grow up with a lot of money and I do want people feel that they can afford my clothes. You don't have to live in a mansion to get designer wares.
 

Who do you prefer: Independent or Mainstream designers?
Independent designers!!! I do like some mainstream, but its getting to the point where anyone with money can design. As long as you have a big enough checkbook you just pay people to do everything for you. There are some mainstream designers that went to school for design and worked their butts off to get to where they are today and I applaud them for that. We all know its not easy. Now we got all these people that are just getting into just to make money and to most independent designers it means more to us than just money its something we put our blood, sweat and tears into; doing what we love. Most independent designers are an artist {and} the business person, they do it all from production to the end product and then sell it for a profit. 

Any other special projects you want to share with our readers?
I am going to be entering into a competition called Indy Fashion Time (IFT). I am really excited about it. You comprise three looks which one of them is avant garde. I have some great ideas and starting to get started as we speak. It's coming May 31st to June 4th, 2011. The final competition is being held at the State Fairgrounds.
Clique Da Cour (retail $ 80)




Take a look at more pieces from Tiffiany and Clique Da Cour on her website and her Etsy page.

No comments:

Post a Comment